Monday, October 4, 2010

Eloquent Rant of the Day: Wanda Shapiro


My Favorite Indie Novelist @ One Girl One Novel:
... E-books are good for me. And so are all of the other advances in technology that are scaring the pants off the publishing industry. With the advances in personal computing technology and print-on-demand printing, I can now do everything Random House does—at home, in my spare time, with my laptop and an internet connection.

But more than that, the current state of the publishing industry relative to literary authors is good for me too. Writers in all genres can now take advantage of technology and self-publish their work, but writers of literary fiction are the ones who stand to benefit most from the crumbling of the industry that has abandoned them.

The publishing industry (and their continued trend of bad business decisions) has created a vacuum in the literary arena and, in my opinion, literary authors should be doing cart wheels. I write literary fiction and I’m confident I’ll be able to make a living as a writer. It’s only been a few months since the debut of my first novel but I’m leveraging available technology and bringing indie literature directly to my audience which is primed and ready for a kind of quality that the publishing industry isn’t providing. ...